Throughout the country, small, medium and large furniture makers are increasingly relying on high-end nested based wood machinery, which includes CNC routers and finishing technology, to manufacture their products . . . companies like La-Z-Boy Tennessee in Dayton, TN which was just named one of six manufacturing facilities for the 2012 IW Best Plant Winner.
Profiles of all the winning facilities can be found online at www.industryweek.com/best-plants-2012.
Founded in 1927, La-Z-Boy—North America’s largest manufacturer of upholstered furniture and the world’s leading producer of reclining chairs— was among one of six winning companies named in The 23rd Annual Industry Week”Best Plants Awards”.
As highlighted in the January issue of Industry Week, the 2012 Best Plants winners set high expectations and their smart and determined efforts mean they deliver.
Previously, the Lazy Boy facility has also been recognized with numerous other awards, including the Commissioner’s Award of Excellence for Workplace Safety and Health, which was presented earlier this year by the Tennessee Department of Labor and Workforce Development.
Among many of the key lean manufacturing elements met by Lazy Boy that garnered them the award was their initiation of cell-based manufacturing, which replaced time and labor intensive wood products production lines with assembly stations which incorporate a variety of machining centers.
Kurt Darrow (CEO/President/Director, La-Z-Boy) as quoted in previous press releases announcing lazy Boy’s initial nomination for the award said . . . that the dramatic changes in manufacturing processes have been able to maintain La-Z-Boy’s legendary standards for high quality while reducing the company’s backlog of products from nine or 10 months in the 1970s to just nine or 10 days now. Additionally, “cellular manufacturing” process that increases efficiency and gives our American employees more job satisfaction and ownership of the products they craft on our behalf.
Nearly 1,300 associates work at the Dayton, Tenn. location and manufacture La-Z-Boy’s fully customizable furniture line including sofas, chairs, ottomans and more.
Headquartered in Monroe, Michigan, The La-Z-Boy’ Upholstery Group companies include Bauhaus, England and La-Z-Boy. And the operating units in the Casegoods Group include American Drew, Lea and Hammary, as well as Kincaid.
First Choice Industrial
is a full service LEED Certified & Lean Manufacturing Specialist in industrial woodworking machinery
located in metro Atlanta, serving commercial woodworking industry professionals in GA, FL, TN SC, NC & nationwide.
View our NEW 2013 Professional Woodworking Machinery Catalog Here - http://www.firstchoiceind.net/woodworkingmachinery/
And for great deals on all of our used woodworking machinery our entire inventory of national listings of used woodworking machinery can be viewed HERE
First Choice Industrial, LLC
145 Auburn Park Drive
Auburn, GA 30011
|Sign Up Now! to receive our FREE monthly E-newsletter for . . .|
|• used machinery inventory updates
• new machinery promotions
• woodworking industry news
Also, join us on . . .
- US Demand for Molding & Trim is Forecast to Exceed $10 Billion in 2014
- Number of Improving Housing Markets Surges to 201 in December
- Construction Employment Increases In 35 States
- Ninety-Nine U.S. Housing Markets Viewed as Improving in March
- New Home Sales Data Point to Stabilizing Market: Bloomberg News
- Builder Confidence Rises Fourth Consective Month In January
- Number of Improving Housing Markets Rises: Adding 20 New Metro Areas to the List for December
- Wood Industry Leads Way In November ISM Manufacturing Report On Business
- Single Family Housing Starts Permits Rise in October 2011
- Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Market Shows Signs of Improvement
- Weiland Designs Expanding Indiana Mfg. Operations: Creating 120 New Jobs by 2015
- Manufacturing Sector Expands for 26th Consecutive Month Including Wood Products
- Bullish on Made in the USA: Making the case for reshoring U.S. Manufacturing